Discussion: Improving BCL Registrations

BCL and competitive related discussions

Moderator: BCL Staff

Aita
Administrator
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Discussion: Improving BCL Registrations

Post by Aita » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:12 pm

This is continuing a conversation that was heavily derailed in another thread.

The recent Spring Cup was an 8-team tournament in which the first 8 teams to register were selected to join the tournament. I think it's fairly common practice to use first-come first-serve, since we have no metric of qualifying teams. However, I understand that some people felt disadvantaged, so let's address it here.

First, know that future tournaments are likely to have more than 8 teams (though not all tournaments). Sadly, anything over 8 teams will require 2 days of play if we use double-elimination. I don't like single-elimination, as teams can get knocked out fairly quickly without proper chance to showcase their skills. The more they play, the more indicative of their relative rank within the tournament. For instance, APx would not have had that amazing finals match against LG if we hadn't had double-elimination. However, I'll bring up alternatives to double-elimination in another thread, let's instead discuss the nature of the registration system.

So, what did you not like about the registration? What would you have changed?

Don't be afraid to give feedback, we need it! We want to improve, this is a community league and we need to hear from the community. But, keep it civil -- simple slander is not productive, I'd prefer to have a discussion.
TooL clan thetoolclan.org
BLR Blacklist blrblacklist.org
Blacklight Community League playbcl.com

SureSh0t

Re: Discussion: Improving BCL Registrations

Post by SureSh0t » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:29 am

I think making tournaments a 2 day affair would mean a lot of people couldn't play. Even the last one was pushing it because of the length, approaching 7 hours. People have lives and no one makes money from playing this game. But hey, you're not good unless you qualify against MetroScream, right? The most sensible thing would be to simply expand the bracket.

It would be nice if we had some limited number of times we could change our entries on the web but I understand if that would be too much of a hassle for BCL to keep track of and make sure all submitted changes are kosher.

Another possible solution would be to seed teams out of qualifiers based on previous tournament results and let everyone else fight for a spot, or let everyone waiting fight for the last 2 spots. You could make it sudden death elimination to speed it up in either case.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DiceZ
Blacklist Staff
Blacklist Staff

Post by DiceZ » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:01 am

I have an idea, although it might be too complicated.
Have the 8 (or however many you want) places distributed between EU and US and let them register at different times.
This does not fix some of the issues, however it allows for a "good" time to register for each region.

So:
4 US teams can register at something like 5pm EDT.
4 EU teams can register at something like 5pm CEST.

This at least makes the tourn not be crowded by US/EU clans only.
However, the tournament can only be played on one server at a time, when the tournament is on US it might be better to have more US teams. And vise versa.
Simply because of the fact that the local teams will have an advantage anyways.

Sky
Blacklist Elite
Blacklist Elite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sky » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:06 am

Sky here, giving you the unpopular opinion as always.

I personally cannot tolerate the whining 16yo kids who cannot make it on saturday or need to go to the dentist on the 19th; if you want to be in the competitive scene you should be dedicating a part of your life to it, just like a sport or a hobby. The tournaments are announced plenty in advance and you have all the time to tell your mom you need to be free from 6-8pm on such and such day because it's something you want to do.

Wtf happens when you get good enough to get recruited as B team for a Dreamhack team, but can't go because you have to clean your room?

Incidentally the same applies to all the guys who want to compete but 1) have 10fps 2) have 250 ping 3) play on a potato-powered toaster.

There is nothing weird about 16-team tournaments or double elimination; you should be easily able to deal with it, being able to ready up within 10 minutes, get a fucking working microphone and teamspeak, and every other nuance of online play that i can't think of right now.
playing QuakeLive 24/7

Spartan11702
Blacklist Veteran
Blacklist Veteran

Post by Spartan11702 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:24 am

Honestly I do not see any problems with the way BCL opened up the sign ups for the teams. I mean Aita you did post what will be happening in the next few months all of us clearly know that in May we have a tournament and one in summer. I mean it is already clear enough with ample amount of time! Even after all the announcements people can not sign up on time it is their fault.

And as for people having a life... well instead of saying stuff like that I do not see how you can not spend a few hours of your damn saturday for playing a tournament. And if you can not play then please stop whining and go play minecraft.

SureSh0t

Post by SureSh0t » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:48 am

Sky wrote:Sky here, giving you the unpopular opinion as always.

I personally cannot tolerate the whining 16yo kids who cannot make it on saturday or need to go to the dentist on the 19th; if you want to be in the competitive scene you should be dedicating a part of your life to it, just like a sport or a hobby. The tournaments are announced plenty in advance and you have all the time to tell your mom you need to be free from 6-8pm on such and such day because it's something you want to do.

Wtf happens when you get good enough to get recruited as B team for a Dreamhack team, but can't go because you have to clean your room?

Incidentally the same applies to all the guys who want to compete but 1) have 10fps 2) have 250 ping 3) play on a potato-powered toaster.

There is nothing weird about 16-team tournaments or double elimination; you should be easily able to deal with it, being able to ready up within 10 minutes, get a fucking working microphone and teamspeak, and every other nuance of online play that i can't think of right now.
A lot of us are in our twenties dude. We have jobs. We have to pay rent. And feed ourselves. Or go to school.

I love this game but dude, please.

Unless that whole post was a joke. Sorry, I can't tell.

MetroScream
Blacklist Elite
Blacklist Elite

Post by MetroScream » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:13 am

The first four teams from previous tournament will qualify directly for the next tournament , for remaining four places will be played qualifications .

30 . april - QUALIFICATIONS - 3vs3 KOTH ... Why KOTH - strong teams vs newbie teams will finish this in five minutes .

1 . may - MAY MASSACRE .....

.... Sky@ - I work on Saturdays, first week - first shift ( 7am - 3pm ) , second week - second shift ( 3pm - 11pm ) , third week - first shift ... - Bosnia aka SystemOfSlavery :|

Lawyer of WNx clan

5h0ckw4v3
BCL Staff
BCL Staff

Post by 5h0ckw4v3 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:23 am

Sky wrote:Sky here, giving you the unpopular opinion as always.

SureSh0t wrote: A lot of us are in our twenties dude. We have jobs. We have to pay rent. And feed ourselves. Or go to school.

I love this game but dude, please.

Unless that whole post was a joke. Sorry, I can't tell.

Well, SureSh0t, Although I disagree with his diss about 16 yo kids whining, he does make a point.

Bear with me.

Playing this game at a competitive level would require dedication to it like a real sport or hobby you're into. I don't think his post was at all a joke. I'd daresay in my own PERSONAL opinion that he's writing a cynical, but very real point.

HOWEVER

Like SureSh0t already stated, there are things that go above and beyond playing this game, and that is real life. No, not having to clean your room and be unable to play videogames because your parents are making you do it. You should keep your room clean at all times anyways so that kind of thing doesn't bother you. Things like jobs that require you to work on weekends and sometimes night-shifts so you get home to sleep at the same time the tournamet may start are completely valid points.

As for potato-powered PC's that's another point too. Not as relevant and time-management for people to play in tournaments, but important all-the-same since in-game footage capture is essential for the competitive aspect of this game. You can only do so much with modifying .ini files in-game when your PC is absolutely horrible at giving you a decent FPS before adding the added stress on your PC to record as you play too. If said .ini fixes cannot help you be able to have a decent experience playing blacklight (and even more so being able to record yourself in-game with computer software) then unfortunately it's best if you hold off from playing competitive matches in BLR for the time being until such a time you're then capable of being able to self-record on your own PC.

Sky
Blacklist Elite
Blacklist Elite

Post by Sky » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:36 am

If you are in your twenties then congratulations, you are young enough that i could be your father;

the point - which you have sorely missed - is that competitions are not scheduled around YOUR needs, because you are one of many people. And just like YOU have jobs (or go to school) other people too have jobs and go to school.
If you cannot attend, you cannot attend. Simple?

The organizer sets a date, and those who can attend can partecipate; or else there will always be, by numbers, people who cannot attend and your needs are inconveniencing other people.

Incidentally, i was recently invited to a quake tournament, March 19; i was busy 18-20 so i said "no i'm sorry, i cannot play" instead of "whelp, can youze guize move the torunament? i needs to do stuff!"

Likewise, when i started BLR and i had a crappy 7750 to play, i did not play scrims and then whine "i have hardware lags but trust me, im the best player" because i know that my clanmates hold me to MY responsibility to show up with decent hardware, just like if i go to a Skiing tournament, i need to bring a fucking pair of skis.

You say you love this game, but i think you underestimate the dedication people have to shooters; if i was to reinstall my OS, it would take me easily the WHOLE DAY to simply re-tweak my settings from standard to "gaming". People can be maniacal in finding the right mouse / mousepad combination, posture, netcode settings, my internet contacts list is 90% FPS players. You seem to treat a tournament like something which can be replaced with a couple hours of pubbing, for fun factor.

If you want to attend, you will find a way. If you can't, you probably didn't want it enough.

FYI i work 12h shifts in a bank, i have to timestamp my entrance, i get penalized in actual money if i have more than 3 absences in a year, and the job requires me to show up nice and clean and in suit and tie.
playing QuakeLive 24/7

DiceZ
Blacklist Staff
Blacklist Staff

Post by DiceZ » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:54 am

Sky wrote:If you are in your twenties then congratulations, i'm young enough that i could be your father;

the point - which you have sorely missed - is that competitions are not scheduled around YOUR needs, because you are one of many people. And just like YOU have jobs (or go to school) other people too have jobs and go to school.
If you cannot attend, you cannot attend. Simple?
That shouldn't stop organizers to aim for a time that works for most people. I mean the tournament we just had was good, cause it started at reasonable times in both EU and US. I know some people didn't like it, but my point is, always try to make the best for most.